This week’s Five Favourite Things is an ode to Summer.
Shameless Confession #75: I’m a Summer baby. I was born smack-dab in the middle of summer, right in the middle of July to be exact. As a child, I used to look forward to the three months of no school, frolicking with my friends and cousins, the summer camps and the new friends I made there as well. These days we get no three months of vacation (although I strongly advocate it), so now I look forward to the days on the beach, the bright blue sky, the fruits that bear, and all the outdoor activities and events.
So without further ado . . .
1. Today is the last day of May and although Summer doesn’t officially begin until June 21, I always say it’s Summer. Summers in Jamaica though, as brilliant as they may be, are often accompanied by the Hurricane season which unfortunately begins June 1st. We have been and will always be in the path of one hurricane or the other. So this year, I decided to be fully prepared for the season, hurricanes and all.
Here’s what to have in your Hurricane Kit:
- Battery radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Garbage bags
- Wrench or Pliers
- Manual can-opener
- Oil Lamps & candles
- Bottles of Water
- Canned foods
- First Aid Kit with latex gloves, adhesive bandages of different sizes, antibiotic treatment, aspirin, petroleum jelly, tweezers and scissors.
2. One of the things I want to do for my birthday is go to Mystic Mountain. Mystic Mountain is a rain forest tour in Jamaica that takes you from the shoreline of Ocho Rios, 700 ft above sea level at the top of their mountain. They have a host of activities for people of all ages: bob-sledding down the mountain side, canopy zip-lining, sky explorer, and water slides.
I want to try the canopy zip-lining; it’s taken me years to muster up the courage to even want to try it, so I think amma try for it this year. And it helps that they have great summer deals going on now. Wish me luck 😀
3. When I was in college, I had the opportunity to volunteer for the major fashion event in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Pulse’s Caribbean Fashion Week (I really don’t remember the year). It was exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time.
Two things happened to me that summer: I worked with some huge Caribbean designers who showed me that inspiration laid everywhere, if you would only look. The pieces of work I saw . . . amazing! One particular designer Uzuri International left me with a yearning for one of his dresses. Just one!
And the second thing I learned was that there is more interesting drama back-stage than on-stage and I loved it. The chaos and importance of working behind the scenes . . . OMG, I still think I could do that for the rest of my life.
This year’s Caribbean Fashion Week will be held on the weekend of June 7 – 9. Not only do they feature major and upcoming designers and collections but also a myriad of jewellery pioneers, and I can’t wait!
Wish I was working with them this year, but oh well . . .
4. I, as per the usual, happened to stumble across this article on Yahoo! regarding the popular board game, Monopoly.
You know that game right? The one we all love to hate . . . I like to play (mostly because I hold the hope of someday winning that b*tch) but I never win, and the feeling of going bankrupt . . . not cute!
This article pointed out some rules we miss completely while playing. For example, did you know, if a player lands of a property and chooses not to buy it, the bank should put that property up for auction to the other players, and not necessarily at the pre-assigned value of the property?! I did not know this! That’s why its good to stumble around the internet more time, you never know what you may learn.
5. And because it is finally the weekend, I want to leave you with an oldie but goodie song to celebrate the start of the weekend, from another Caribbean beauty.
And now my Five Favourite Blog posts this week:
- Six things I learned from Daily Yoga Practice | 20Something and Beyond
- Travel Theme: Pathways | RetireeDiary
- Five things to accept about turning 30 | Larae Writes
- Daily Prompt: Weaving the Threads | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- After Earth | She, Me, Her
Until next time . . . Cheers to the freaking weekend and the beginning of Summer!